Set the Speed and Foam the Milk

Its seems that the same thing happens whether you have a coffee mug in your hand or a camera around your neck. You live... One shot at a time.







Monday, March 1, 2010

A Shot of Grace

There's a line. For most of us, we see the line and though we know better, we cross it. For others, the line is blurred and sometimes sadly nonexistent. I'm of course talking about the sin line. We talked alot about the Sin Line in my Spiritual Warfare Class. I dont think i learned anything new, i think i was reminded. Reminded that there is a definite line, reminded that the devil urges us to cross it, and reminded that all my righteousness is filthy rags. This blog is overdue. I've been writing it for while, carrying it around like change in my pocket. I am not debating theology. I am not condemning every person i know. I am sharing what i see and what i feel about the lines being crossed.

I cross the line. Daily. The devil says something's ok and i agree and i move closer to the line. A little more coaxing and i've sinned. We all do it. Thank you Jesus for a repentance! For the grace that is offered to us so freely but cost you so much. Having said that i admit to being far from perfect. FAR. But this blog isn't about my sin line. The lines that i see daily at my job and on social networking sites are the ones that i pray about and mourn over.
To the nonbeliever the scenes i see played out daily are normal. To a believer they should not be. I have seen more moms buy girls under the age of 15 string bikinis than i ever wish to see again. Mothers buying condoms, mothers buying matching short skirts for them and their teens. Theres a line. With satan standing on one side saying " Dont you want your daughter to be admired? Dont you want her to have everything she wants? If you allow this to happen she will like you more." Some of these women i know to be followers of Jesus. We are to be the examples, believers. Modesty has been lost on this new generation and somewhere along the way we as believers decided that it would be easier to tolerate sin than to speak out against it. They can do whatever they want to do but, "As for me and my house..." They are crossing the line. Are we crossing the line by not speaking up about it? Believing mothers, how are you teaching your daughters to be set apart from the world by allowing them to dress like it?
And what of the music, tv shows, and movies being watched? Whats wrong with listening to some country music and singing along with lady gaga? Watching The Family Guy? A few R Rated movies.. I've learned alot about myself this semester. More working at a secular job than going to seminary. The people at my work know that i'm a believer. I've made it clear. They know that i wont go to bars or watch certain things. I've explained my reasons and they dont understand it, and as non believers i dont really expect them to. What makes me saddened are the believers that dont understand it. If you are listening to the same music, and watching the same movies and tv shows, what sets you apart from the world? "i love this song. I know it talks about having a one night stand but it sure is catchy. "i'll go to the party. I wont drink, i just want to be there." I'll watch this movie with my friends even though there are a few sex scenes and alot of bad language. I want to hang out with them and they are all going to the movie. If i say no they will all think i'm stupid."
Dont you see, younger generation? If you are singing the lyrics you are commending the song. If you are quoting the lines from the movies you are saying to the world, "i saw this and i agree with it and i'm proud of it." The line for alot of younger aged believers are being blurred. I'm not a parent and at the rate i'm going i may never be one, but i think parents that are believers need to be fighting for and with their sons and daughters. A war fought for modesty, for purity, for honesty, for holiness.
Holiness. To be set apart. To lay aside what the world offers as good and call it ash in the presence of an all-seeing God. To throw away the sin that so easily entangles and live the life of sacrifice that we are called to. To not be conformed to this world, but to be transformed.
The lines are being blurred. Not just about these few things. I know what lines i have blurred. I know them and i am working on them. Some would argue that listening to country music isnt a sin. Some would say " well thats just want God wants for you. He hasnt told me to stop listening to it." All i can say is watch the line. Our choices are taking us one step closer to holiness or one step further away.

Here is the chorus of a song that has been on my heart the past few weeks..

"It's your life
What you gonna do?
The world is watching you.
Every day the choices you make say what you are and who your heart beats for
It's an open door. It's your life"

I hope i didnt come across judgemental.. i see this played out daily and my heart is broken over sin. My own. Friends from back home. Teenagers on Facebook. Parents at Target. There are no "little" sins. We are all sinful and in need of grace. Thanks for letting me vent, rant, and share my heart you with. where would i be without grace?

-kelly

3 comments:

  1. i will at some point post pictures and blog about happy things.. i'm apparently not a good blogger... i'm going to work on that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should spy on people and put pictures of them in your posts. You could take pictures of people blurring the line. Eh, that wouldnt be good.

    You could take photos of people high-fiving each other or doing the fist bump thing while smiling at the camera. Those are always happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the insight! I struggle with that line between "being in the world and not of the world". I know that ministering to teens will involve being in their world and sometimes their world is so full of sin and filth. We have to teach them to be lights in their dark world and maybe even encourage them to not even be in the world at all for a time until they are strong enough to be "in it" and not "of it".
    Thanks for your encouragement and your candid-ness (is that even a word?). Love and miss ya!!

    ReplyDelete